Saturday, April 5, 2008

Car Adventures

It's track break for the girls so I had planned on coming up to Utah to visit my family. Originally I was going to bring the van to have my dad do a little work on the brakes, but then Matt's car started having problems so I decided to bring it up here. We took his car in last Tuesday because it started making noise and they fixed the axel and then there was still a noise so they said "the transmission might be going out" so I talked to my dad and since we could get it fixed up here I decided to make the trip since they told me the transmission wasn't that bad yet. We left really early, because I hate the drive, and I drove under the speed limit as to not cause any more transmission issues. Not driving above the speed limit is a killer. I mean it took me almost 2 hours to get to St. George. So we get to Cedar City and get gas. Things are fine, the car is a little bit more noisy, but we continue. We get about 30 min. outside of Cedar and the car starts shaking and the sterring wheel is crazy. I pull off at Exit 100, it's just a Ranch Exit, because it feels like a flat tire. It's not, so I call my dad and say I'm going to try to keep going. As I am pulling away a trucker also off at that exit tells me my tire is wobbling like crazy so I pull off and start making calls. My dad was going to drive 3 hours to get me, but then Matt's fabulous sister and brother-in-law Shelly and La Grand come from Cedar City to the rescue. We were at the exit for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours because we were making calls and figuring out what to do and then getting a trailer, but we were rescued. Now, if you will refer to the post after Christmas you will see that we were broken down on the road then too. Sadly, Shelly and LaGrand have rescued me in the middle of nowhere several years ago. Why do you ask do I keep driving by myself---I'm crazy. We got the car to Orem and the people who fixed my car earlier in the week either did something wrong or obviously didn't fix the problem which has caused more problems in the car. Thankfully I have a great family who has helped us out and my Dad is going to fix the car. Also, my kids were great at the Ranch exit. We sat on a blanket and had snacks, counted trucks went on a walk and peed in a bush. Wait, that was just me and let me tell you Mattison was so mortified. Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do. Here's the bummer, my batteries on my camera were used up so I didn't get pictures. We don't even know if the tranmission is the problem. I swear when I win Mega Bucks I am getting a new car and one for all of you who also have car problem.

10 comments:

Grandma Grace said...

Sorry to hear about all your problems. I hope the bush you christened doesn't die. I know I sometimes get frustrated that Gary won't let me take the car alone to go on trips. But he is always afraid I am going to break down.
GG

The Ririe's said...

Well that doesn't sound like very much fun! Hope things are going a little bit better and you can have some fun with your family!

QnA Drapers said...

Im sorry to hear you didn't have a camera when you were Peeing in the bush! That could have been an exciting post. Good luck getting it fixed and drive home carefully!

randi said...

Kristen and Matt - When you win the megabucks, or when you get a new car, buy a Toyota. I have owned 3 of them and at least one for the last 16 years straight and have never had to do anything except brakes and batteries. Don't take this a bragging or anything, I really do beleive in their reliability and think you would like one, and that it would help your situation. -Kelsey

Julie said...

That's right. No sense in holding it when there are bushes nearby!
Are you still in Utah?

Cardalls said...

HATE car problems! Did you know that when we were engaged Dave got a ticket for peeing on a bush off a ranch exit, it was for "lewd behavior!" Watch out for those small town cops who have nothing to do!

The Bischoff's said...

I have peed on those Ranch exits MANY times! Driving to UT by yourself with sleeping kids in the car isn't worth pulling over and waking them up!! sorry about your car problems!!!

Megan said...

Cars are a blessing and a curse sometimes. Hopefully this will be the last of your car troubles for awhile!!

Meli said...

I am glad you made it FINALLY! Once J and I were stuck on the side of the highway for like a couple hours too and sang crazy songs at the top of our lungs to pass the time! Hey maybe that bush will grow "special" flowers on it now! lol

Rachael said...

Before you left and you got your car fixed did you take it to Tire Works right next to you?
What a bummer!